Blog Header

Blog Header

Monday 13 June 2016

First time pond dipping

Recently we were walking through Decathlon, a large sports store, when I spotted a display in the central aisle with a load of nets in it. That reminded me that I had been meaning to have a go at pond dipping for absolutely ages. It actually said on the display that the nets were for children to use in order to learn about aquatic life, whether in ponds or rock pools. I got all excited and my OH turned to me and said in a scathing voice, "How old are you?". "Twelve" I replied, poking my tongue out when he wasn't looking. I bought the net. :-)

And so I had a go yesterday. Luckily we have an old shallow cat litter tray that is perfect for putting the things caught in the net into as it's a pale cream colour. I'd had a read on a website about pond dipping, and the best places around a pond to do so (amongst pond plants, under overhanging vegetation and around the sticks and bits that cover the bottom of the pond).

 
I was a bit disapppointed as I'd hoped to find some caddis fly larvae and all sorts of large and interesting things. However I found that what I collected, and the pond water I'd already put in the bowl, was actually teeming in tiny aquatic life. We have a large pond fed by a stream which contains quite a number of fish, and it's never covered in any duck weed or blanket weed, so I reckon it's pretty healthy. There must be plenty there for the fish to eat as they reproduce every year and I have seen caddis flies and mayflies and I think most of the damselflies here reproduce and lay in the pond. However amongst the dragonflies I see here I've only seen Common Darters actually mating and ovipositing in the pond. 

I'd come across this website http://freshwaterhabitats.org.uk/habitats/pond/identifying-creatures-pond/ which gives beginner info about pond dipping and photos of all the creatures you may find which aids IDing. 

Water Boatman - the kind that swim on their backs. This is an excerpt from the above website about different kinds of Water Boatmen:

"To make life simpler, many biologists now call greater water boatmen ‘backswimmers’ because this is the most obvious difference between the two groups, and saves confusion. Lesser water boatmen swim on their fronts, and greater water boatmen – backswimmers – swim on their backs. Added to this the tiny Lesser Backswimmer Plea leachii is smaller than virtually all other ‘lesser’ water boatmen. Lesser Water Boatmen, which all look rather like each other, are technically members of just one family of animals, the Corixidae. The backswimmers comprise two families in Britain, the Notonectidae and, for the Lesser Backswimmers, the Pleidae."


A really small damselfly larva.


Much larger damselfly larva.


Tiny red wormy thing.


Blurred photo of a pond skater of some sort - they were quite tiny and moved about a lot.


These specks were tiny creatures moving around - no idea what they are! But I then discovered slightly bigger creatures amongst them - enlarged photo below this one.


Can you see, top middle and centre middle, there are two creatures larger than the tiny specks? I've no idea what they are and I only saw them when looking at my photo! 


As well as the above there were tiny black 'fleas' - like flea beetles which jumped about onto the edge of the container and leaped when I put my finger near them. So I'm guessing some kind of aquatic flea (which was also too hard to photograph!).

All in all a fun experiment and I will certainly have another bash in other areas of the pond and at different times of the year, to see what else I might find. I'd urge you to find your inner kid and have a go!

12 comments:

  1. Wow this takes me back a few years - I used to love pond dipping and was always fascinated by the range of life you could spot. We only have a small pond now and several small water gardens but they are soon colonised and it is a great pleasure to watch the tadpoles, beetles, water skaters, dragonflies and such living their life in and around the water. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever pond dipped, except for catching minnows and sticklebacks! Although I might have done it with junior school and forgotten as it was a long time ago. ;-) With a small pond I think you get to observe a lot more, but I'm not complaining about the size of mine. Thanks Ian.

      Delete
  2. I love pond dipping and then putting the find in a small glass tank and trying to get a "natural" macro shot of them..... fun :-) Keep at it Mandy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to try that, Ian, though I found the larger of the two damselfly larvas kept hiding and it was hard to find it. I will keep at it! Thanks Ian.

      Delete
  3. Great fun Many and so interesting to see what you found :)

    I haven't done any pond dipping since the children were younger. I must release my inner child and do it again :)

    Look forward to seeing more of your findings in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! It would be great to see some caddis fly larvae, and I know there are diving beetles here and their larvae would be cool to find too. Do have a go again one day - I was thinking of you and Amanda and your 30 Days Wild thing whilst I was dipping! :-)

      Delete
  4. Great post, I grew up next to the river and spent most of my childhood in it, as well as swimming I would spend hours catching the fish and other critters with a net. I so miss not living near water.

    I did try pond dipping last year at the park but did feel a little silly amongst the men fishing in the pond, hope to see whats in the stream that runs through the fields at the back of our house.
    You found some interesting things, and have visited your link before, like they said on Springwatch most people don't know the wild life as well in water as they do on land.
    Look forward to seeing what else you find.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. It must been wonderful having a river like that so close. I hope you can find some interesting things in the stream. I certainly don't know much about aquatic insects (their larvae at least) and I need to learn more about their lifecycles too. :-) xx

      Delete
  5. What a fun thing to do. That is interesting about the water boatmen - I'll remember that. Our pond is surrounded by mature trees and the leaves do have a negative impact on it, unfortunately. But I should have a go at pond dipping just to see what's there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, sorry for the delay commenting! My pond has trees all around it too and all the leaves fall in it, but it still has insect life. Best thing is to have a look see. :-)

      Delete